Title pictures courtesy of Annie LaRue

Wednesday, February 3, 2010

The first illness to hit the family...

Last week hand foot and mouth reached the Petersen family. Its basically just a viral infection that apparently only affects children (according to Sophie's ped. here). I think not (and yet another reason the doctors in Malaysia are a bit unreliable). After consulting webmd.com and close family friends (all doctors) we realized that 'YES, this does affect adults and YES, Thomas and I have it.'

It all started, I think, with a normal Wednesday class of Gymboree. Couple the 20+ children with teething and chewing on everything and saliva- we found the source to our misery. 'Our' I say lightly since this virus didn't seem to affect Sophie as much as it affected me and Thomas. S got a fever Sunday night to Monday afternoon then developed a rash on, you guessed it, hands and feet (they looked like chicken pox- she had a bout 10 on her body). Wednesday came along and Thomas and I were hit with really bad sore throats then I got a fever (Sophie was fine so sweet Thomas had to run after her while I hibernated). Then Thomas got a fever. Thursday arrived with yes, the little rashes. Thomas believed we stepped out of the 18th Century and was hit by the plague! It looked like it. Although the majority of my bumps were all in my throat (the source- a very wet kiss from Sophie.) Thomas's hands and feet looked as if he jumped up and down on a fire ant pile. PAINFUL and itchy. Very Itchy.

By Saturday, we were doing better- I could drink and eat much better and the bumps were starting to fade. I wanted to get a picture of Thomas' hands but he did NOT want to be reminded of "the plague" that hit our family!

It won't stop us from Gymboree classes, just stops us from visiting doctors here in Malaysia. what a fun week!

No comments:

Post a Comment