Title pictures courtesy of Annie LaRue

Monday, October 19, 2009

One thousand one hundred= eleven hundred???

Last Friday, I ran my usual monthly errand to the bank to pay on my car loan. My ridiculously high car loan. I drive a Nissan Latio Sport or in the States its a Nissan Versa Sport. Fantastic car but due to taxes, I had to buy it for maybe 3x the price in the States. Anyway, water under bridge.

Every month, I have to head to the bank to pay on my loan because
1. I can't pay online
2. My bank, citibank will "automatically" pay every month by writing the check and send it via snail mail to the lender bank. And they'll charge me a fee for it.

So anyway, I pay it every month. And every month, the teller has some sort of problem with my check.
1. The order of the payee (Thomas' name/ License plate no.) is switched - their instructions say to write one or the other or both in any order.
2. The check is slightly ripped (from tearing it out of the checkbook) and they say its unacceptable. Oddly enough after arguing with them - the check clears perfectly.
3. The written amount does not include the word "only" at the end of the value. A line does not suffice!
4. My favorite is the date. Payment is due on the 11th and in my checkbook I have the entire year's worth of checks written out. If I happen to go in the afternoon on the 10th with my check dating the 11th - "oh can not do, lah"

Friday came with a new concern from the teller... Check written for 1179. In the written amount, I wrote eleven hundred...
The teller immediately said I can not give her this check it does not say " one thousand one hundred." WHAT?!
Yep, I told her one thousand one hundred IS in fact eleven hundred. She then left to ask her manager who also agreed with his teller. "It is not their practice. The check will not clear." After stating that they are the same number and that I have not had any problems for the past 1 1/2 years, they decided to go ahead and enter the check "only if I will pay the return fee when it is rejected." I agree.

Funnily, I checked my checking account today and surprise: my check for eleven hundred seventy nine cleared!

1 comment: