Title pictures courtesy of Annie LaRue

Saturday, October 10, 2009

Tinkle, Tinkle my little Star!

I love reading all the "In my day, this is how we did it..." forums from our moms and their moms. The many things they did when raising us kids is mind boggling. So when Sophie was born and I had my mom and Thomas' mom here, I started to get overwhelmed by all the things that Sophie should be doing by a year old. The list started with sleeping through the night, eating food, teething. As I was told, I never really crawled and was walking by 10 months and was toilet trained by a year. REALLY?!!

My little Sophie hit 7 months and I started thinking about these milestones. Can I really expect for her to sit on a toilet and go when she can barely keep milk in her mouth? We hadn't really hit many milestones by 8 months. Teeth hadn't come in, crawling was just about to start, sleeping through the night was a "maybe tonight, maybe not tomorrow" thing and well more food ended up on the table and floor which my now pudgy dogs LOVE. So I figured I'd give the whole potty training thing a go.

First try, amazingly a success! Then I tried a few more times that day and worked. It helps that she's very routine (something I'm sure when she gets older, she'll hate that I've posted on the internet!) but it makes for training very easy. I wasn't sure how often I should rush her to the toilet so I took her every 2 hours. Reason... we've successfully trained 2 stubborn French Bulldogs and we took them out every 2 hours so maybe that would work for Sophie?!

We bought those little kid toilets that sit on the floor but soon realized that was a waste of money. She refuses to sit... only the big girl toilet.We bought an insert so she can learn to sit on her own and she loves it. She gets a proud look on her face when she's done. Sophie is now 9.5 months and we go through less diapers and she's sitting more on the toilet. Maybe our moms were on to something when we were potty trained by 1. Is our generation just lazy?


Next on the list... getting the spoon into her mouth on the first try!

No comments:

Post a Comment